- Sleepy Hollow High School
SHHS Important Updates
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope this message finds you well. Next week we will have our PSAT Day on Wednesday for 10th and 11th grade students. Please review the schedule below for important details regarding next week’s schedule.
- Monday, October 12th - SCHOOL CLOSED. No classes scheduled.
- Tuesday, October 13th - Hybrid instruction for Cohort A (last names that begin with A-L). Remote instruction for Cohort B. ODD day, regular bell schedule. Period 1 begins at 7:45 am, Period 2 begins at 8:30 am.
- Wednesday, October 14th - PSAT DAY: ALL 10th and 11th graders have the opportunity to sit for the PSAT exam. This includes Cohort A, B, and Remote learners. In order to create a safe testing environment, 9th and 12th graders will not have school nor will they have remote learning for this day. Our 10th and 11th graders should report by 8:30 AM with a #2 pencil and a calculator.
- Thursday, October 15th - Hybrid instruction for Cohort B (last names that begin with M-Z). Remote instruction for Cohort A. ODD day, regular bell schedule. Period 1 begins at 7:45 am, Period 2 begins at 8:30 am
- Friday, October 16th - Hybrid instruction for Cohort B (last names that begin with M-Z). Remote instruction for Cohort A. EVEN day, regular bell schedule. Period 1 begins at 7:45 am, Period 2 begins at 8:30 am.
PSAT Day: Testing rooms will be assigned by English class and posted at various building entrance points. Our 11th grade students with approved College Board testing accommodations will be directed to 104W/106W.
- All 10th and 11th grade students should report by 8:30 AM with a #2 pencil and a calculator.
- This College Board exam will give our students exposure to the SAT exam's format, question-types, and content. The PSAT exam also serves as an opportunity for 11th grade students to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Program. PSAT results will arrive back to us and returned to students in Mid-December. Hybrid learners have been given a PSAT practice book in school. Remote learners have been provided with the following link, to prepare for the exam: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/psat-nmsqt-student-guide.pdf
- BOCES - 11th and 12th graders who attend a career program at BOCES, will still be given the opportunity to attend - on Wednesday, Oct. 14th. Juniors can decide if they prefer to take the PSAT or attend morning BOCES.
- Dismissal Time - Students will be dismissed by classroom, as each testing room completes the exam. Most students will finish by 12noon.
College Night in Spanish, with a Special emphasis on "Paying for College" - This is a virtual event for SHHS seniors and their parents on Wednesday, Oct. 14th from 6-8pm. Registration is required. The meeting registration link (Zoom) is included on the attached flyer. Mrs. Andujar and Latino U are looking forward to helping our Spanish speaking families on October 14th at 6pm.
Rose Ceremony: We look forward to holding our Rose Ceremony next week. The ceremonies for cohort A will take place on Tuesday, 10/13. Students whose last name starts with letters A-F will take part in the ceremony at 9:30. Students whose last name starts with letters G-L will take part in the ceremony at 1:15. The ceremonies for cohort B will take place on Thursday, 10/15. Students whose last name starts with letters M-S will take part in the ceremony at 9:30. Students whose last name starts with letters T-Z will take part in the ceremony at 1:15.
- Any senior who has their senior portrait scheduled during the time of their assigned Rose Ceremony on 10/13- they must instead get their senior portrait taken and attend the other Rose Ceremony session that day.
- All BOCES students will attend the 1:15 ceremonies on 10/13 and 10/15.
A separate invitation and ceremony program will be emailed to seniors and their parents.
Curbside Library Pickup for Virtual Students: Ms. Mullin, our school librarian has made arrangements for curbside library book pickup for virtual students. To utilize this service, first, students should check OPAC to verify availability. Then, students should fill out a book request form located on the library’s website. Students may take out 2 books at a time. Pick up will be Tuesdays from 3:00 -3:30 outside of the Middle School. Books should also be returned on Tuesdays from 3:00 - 3:30.
Fall Drama: This year, we are working hard to put together a memorable experience for all of our students. If your child is interested in learning more about the fall drama, please have them join the google classroom. The code is: av2kdpr
Free Breakfast and Lunch: Our cafeteria staff has asked me to remind you that they are providing free meals for all students for breakfast and lunch until further notice.
I ask you to remind your child to bring his/her chromebook to school each day they are in school. If the chromebook is not fully charged, please remind them to bring their power cord. The chromebooks are used throughout the day and are essential for class participation.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me, our assistant principal Tony Baxter, your child’s teacher(s), guidance counselor, or any of our clinical staff. Enjoy your weekend.
Dr. Tracy Smith